This assignment is designed to provide you with an opportunity to synthesize the diverse perspectives of leadership and to create a concise document that articulates your personal philosophy of leadership. The process of developing a personal leadership statement will help you clarify the core principles that guide your actions and establish a self-portrait of the leader you hope to become. You will analyze the actions and traits that you believe describe an excellent leader in organizations today. You will establish leadership goals you have for yourself and how you will assess your progress
Write a personal leadership statement (minimum of 5 pages, double-spaced, 12 point font), that articulates the principles covered throughout the course that will influence your actions and beliefs as you engage in the process of leadership. This is a PERSONAL statement and should represent your UNIQUE philosophy of leadership.
This paper should include elements of the following concepts:
- Articulation of the core values, principles, and goals that influence your behavior and decisions
- Your personal leadership style
- Connections to current literature, class reading, and class discussions
- Establish leadership goals and a plan for evaluating your progress
It is important to articulate a personal philosophy that guides your decision- making, irrespective to the specifics of the issue at hand. Consider the following questions in your exploration of your philosophy:
- When do you take risks?
- When do you share your vision?
- How much compromise do you make and in what areas?
- Under what circumstances might you lie?
- How, if at all, do your religious views dictate your philosophy?
- What kinds of personal principles must be inviolate?
- How do you make decisions? On what grounds? In what time frames?
- When do you share information?
- When do you base decisions on evidence?
- When do you follow intuition?
- What are the short and long term effects that you can weigh?
- What decision need to be made collectively? By whom?
- What decisions can (or should) be made individually? When is consultation needed, but individual decision-making authority retained?
A rubric for the YLP paper is pasted below.
|Points Possible||Points Earned|
|Articulated of the core values, principles, and goals that influence behavior and decisions||
|Described personal leadership style||
|Established leadership goals and a plan for evaluating progress||
|Made several connections to class readings and discussions (with a minimum of five citations)||
|Mechanics (APA format, spelling, cover page, etc.) and flow||