As a result of completing this module, students will be able to:
- Self assess their leadership skills
- Observe a leader in action and reflect on his/her use of leadership skills
Due Date Overview
|Work||Due Tuesday: 10/7||Due Friday: 10/10|
|Required Reading||Chapter 6||None|
|Learning Activities||Blog Post #5||Leader Observation Assessment/Reflection |Participation in Blog|
- Northouse, P. G. (2009). Introduction to leadership: Concepts and practice. Los Angeles: Sage Publications. Chapter 6
Due Tuesday, 10/7
- BLOG POST #6, Developing Leadership Skills: Create a blog post that has a creative title that represents some aspect of your reflection and respond to the following questions (include each question before your answer).
- What skill area and specific skills (discussed throughout chapter) are your strongest?
- What skill area and specific skills (discussed throughout chapter) are your weakest and how can you build upon them?
- What impact do you think your leadership skills could have on your role as a leader?
- Do you think some of the skills discussed in the chapter are more important in some situations compared to others? If so, explain.
- Do you think individuals in “lower” levels of leadership require the same skills as those in “upper” levels? Discuss
Due Friday, 10/10
- Participation in Blog Post: Respond to at least one of your classmate’s blog post (a link will to all blogs will be posted here). Participating through blog post discussion allows you to foster discussion, debate, and inspire new thinking. When reading your colleague’s post, be mindful. Do you agree or disagree with their assessment of the reading/perspectives? Why? Is there something your colleague missed that would help inform his/her post? Do you have questions that are unanswered after reading their post? Have we/you read another article that offers different insight into the topic? If so, how would that author feel about your classmate’s post?
- Leader Observation Assessment/Reflection: Observe a leaders for at least 2-3 hours (e.g. teacher, athletic coach, choir director, restaurant manager, work supervisor but try to select someone in your future field) and record your observations as they occur. Complete this form and submit it on CI Learn.